Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fuzzy Wuzzy Wittle Baby Bunnies

I finally got a few pictures of the baby bunnies. They've really grown so much already, though. They already have fur and are starting to open their eyes.
I always check on them several times a day to make sure that none have strayed to far from the nest. Mama rabbits don't move the kits and also usually won't sit for more than one feeding, so a kit who is out of reach is out of luck.
I also usually check them before a rain storm to make sure they are up off the ground and won't get too cold and wet. However, one morning after a particularly wild stormy night, I went out to find 3 of Erica's kits out of the nest and soaked. The were fairly cold, so I rubbed them with a towel and then blew them a little with the hair dryer.
For the record, I am perfectly aware that in the wild, rabbits do not have some crazy human lady to keep putting babies back in the nest or to give said babies a little warm-air fluffing. However, rabbits also have so many babies for a reason...survival is tough. And I'd rather keep these 16 babies alive. I don't care if that makes me look obsessive and over-protective. It wouldn't be the first time.

No comments: