Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Okay, okay...

It has come to my attention (through a very insulting comment) that we may be coming across as wealthy. Which would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. So, though I owe no one an explanation, I will still try to set things straight.

We were blessed beyond anything we could've imagined when we sold our home in Arizona just before the housing market completely tanked. With that profit, and as a joint venture with Don's folks, we were able to buy our land. Our house carries a mortgage. We have not stocked our land to capacity because it would require extreme debt to do so. And so, we have just a few animals out there compared to what it can hold. Perhaps that seems like luxury to some, but it is smart planning to us. We are trying to build our herds through cash payment.

Our addition is a blessing from Don's folks. They are building onto our house because we've decided to live together as a family but our small farmhouse wouldn't hold the 8 of us. We are losing our basement to them, but they are providing us with extra first-floor area. The additional blessing to us is that our siding and roofing is being redone as a part of the remodel.

Don's 5.5 months of unemployment used up our savings. God provided him with a replacement job just in time. But, even if He had not, we would've still felt convicted that there was only one option that we had to walk in obedience. During his unemployment, we had to walk away from our adoption. I can't even write that without crying. I never thought I'd lose that. Our little girl, born in January of this year, is going home to someone else. And while I'll probably never understand that this side of heaven, I know beyond a doubt that Yahweh is good. All the time. I don't know why He chose to work all of that out in that way, and dear God, it hurts with an unbelievable pain, but the savings that we had for the adoption fed us and kept a roof over our heads during our unemployment. And so you'll forgive me, commenter, for erasing your comment and it's accusations that are, to me, so vile.

And now, I will get back to the business of life. Of schooling my kids, cooking our meals, tending our animals, and delighting in my Father. We go without many things that the world would call necessary (including an income that would put us above "poverty level"), but I assure you that I am wealthy...where it counts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First I must apolgize that I hurt your feelings. I had no intention of doing so. My only intent was to point out that your blog does come across a bit hard on farmers. I still stand by that point but only had the intent of calling the above to your attention. That being said, with my sinceriest aplogies about your adoption, enjoy your blog and lifestyle.
Sam

shelley said...

Ok, de-lurking to comment.

I'm so sorry to hear that someone was so ungracious in commenting. I will never forget this post I read about blog reading (http://www.katewicker.com/2009/11/grass-is-always-greener-on-other-blog.html). It never ceases to amaze me what people will say behind the 'anonymity' of the internet.

I love reading about your farm life (especially since my 3 chickens and potted herb garden pale in comparison!) and how your family embraces life. It makes me happy as a stay/work at home mom, and I'm so grateful that I found your blog via Stella's.

When I quit earlier this year after finally selling my house in Tacoma (that sat empty for more than a year), I also heard a number of "must be nice to be rolling in the dough" as we went from a healthy two income family to a one-ish income family. Much of that wasn't said out of love, but envy I suppose. It definitely wasn't an easy time to leave my job, but was something we had prayed about for a long time. God has provided as we've adjusted - though it's taken sacrifice - and a realigning of priorities.

Kudos to you for putting family first, living a cash-oriented lifestyle, and for being a great mom and wife.

Though you didn't owe any of your readers an explanation, thank you for sharing. And know that there are lurkers who love sharing in a bit of A Sustained Life. :)

Nancy M. said...

I'm sorry someone said something hurtful! I don't know why people do that. I really enjoy reading your blog and am really impressed with what y'all do! I am near the poverty level myself, but we get by, even if it's sometimes hard, He provides. I'm sorry about your adoption loss. My cousin lost a child they thought they would be able to adopt, in the end, she said it was meant to be. She just got her new adopted daughter last week.

Rachel said...

I am so sorry your feelings were hurt by a comment. I have spent too many hours fretting over something someone said on a blog or comment and not focusing on real life. I love reading your blog and about your farm, family, and life. Keep it up.

Red Gate said...

For what it's worth, other than what I have read on your blog, I don't know you at all. Yet, I have tremendously enjoyed the wealth of info your blog is. Never, over the year or so that I have been reading it, have you come across as wealthy or putting others down. To the contrary, you seem open and honest, like anyone else who is attempting to be good stewards of what God has mercifully provided, using your resources in the best way you can. Please continue doing so!

foxmulder said...

Oh Gina, bless your heart. You have no need to apologize. I am a bonafide city slicker and I love reading your blog and being exposed to a way of life that I never would have known about otherwise. I am simply amazed at the things you and your family do. I've bragged about you to my friend Shelley lol! She rocks by the way.

Keep up the good work, and keep on being you. Now, I must find my way to a farmer's market to partake of this raw jersey cow milk that you speak of...

Gina said...

Thank you all...it is good to know that y'all are so supportive. It's so hard when a comment comes WHAM like a slap in the face, so it's nice to be among friends.