Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recycling jeans into a ruffled skirt

Over my little blogging hiatus, I crafted this skirt for Meagan using an old pair of jeans and some on-hand material. I googled directions which I cannot seem to find again now. I thought I bookmarked it, but it is nowhere to be found. Anyway, there are plenty more sites out there with directions. The basic idea is to cut off the jeans just above the inseam, and then add ruffles (cut to whatever length works for the total skirt length desired), which each measure about twice as long in circumference as the tier above it. So, if the bottom of the jean tier measures, say, 25 inches around, then the first fabric tier would be about 50 inches around and the 2nd fabric tier would be about 100 inches around. I made them a bit less to lessen the flounce and it still gave a nicely shaped skirt.I made the first tier a little shorter than the second because of the amount of material I had for each. It just worked better that way. If I had to do it over again, I would've made it a bit longer...probably 3 tiers. Because it's ruffled, it flounces just a bit too much to be as short as it is if Meagan is going to keep it down. Luckily, I scored several more pairs of jeans from Goodwill, so I can make her another couple. In fact, I have plans for one with a matching shirt for her birthday. She would rather wear a skirt over jeans any day of the week, so it is the perfect project for me to do for her. And because the complicated part (the top part with the waistband, zipper, pockets, etc.) is already done for me, I can whip one out in a short evening's work.

1 comment:

Oma said...

this is really cute!!