Friday, November 14, 2008

My missing piece

Ever read the Shel Silverstein book titled that? Well, I don't think this is what he was talking about.

A couple of nights ago, I was busy making dinner for some friends we were having over. I was a little late getting started. You know, you should never cook in a big hurry. And, you should never, ever use a Pampered Chef Ultimate Slice N Grate (a mandoline) when in a hurry. And, you should never, ever, EVER use one in a hurry without the hand guard.

Okay, so you probably see where this is going, right?

My hand slipped and before I knew it, my thumb was skinnier. And bleeding profusely.

I retrieved my hunk of thumb from the other side of the slicer, for two reasons. One, I wanted to eventually have a whole thumb again, and two, I didn't think it would add to my casserole any.

I've now had it held together with bandages for a few days and it does, indeed, look as if it will reattach just fine. Lesson learned though. Time to find a new way to slice food. I like to keep all my fingers intact.

*Photo courtesy of The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

1 comment:

Red Gate said...

Yikes! I've been there, and it hurts! I took off the whole side of my thumb with a knife. Although it didn't reattach, you can barely tell now. Hope it stops hurting soon! You don't realize how much you use your thumb until something like that happens!