Monday, January 28, 2008

And now, you, too, can serve your kids chicken feed!

I thought it'd be best if I not hoard the recipe for "fancy scratch grains" all to myself. After all, I'm sure there are lots of kids out there that would love to eat like a chicken themselves! Now, I'm guessing at quantities because I often cook by just winging it. But, chickens aren't picky.

Fancy Scratch Grains (a.k.a. Multigrain Oatmeal)

Grain mixture:
1 part hulled millet
1 part flax seeds
1 part pearled barley
1 part kamut
1 part spelt
3 parts oat groats

1 cup grain mixture, cracked
2 cups water, divided
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp butter
honey

Mix grains with 1 cup of the water and let sit overnight. In the morning, transfer to a saucepan and add remaining water. Stir in spices and raisins. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute; then reduce heat to low. Add butter and simmer gently on low, stirring occasionally, until texture is right. Serve, drizzling each bowl with honey.

Serves 3-4 in our house

No comments: