Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sewing, diapering, and gratuitous cute baby pictures

If you are here to find Abby's birth story, go down a few posts! Otherwise, you can catch up with the new & exciting right here.

I have been sewing a little since Abby's birth. I was able to get 3 Christmas presents finished. It has been something I can do while still sitting and recovering. Here they are:
These first 2 are aprons that I made out of dish towels. The idea came from the Sew, Mama, Sew blog. They were super easy and I think they turned out really cute. They will go to our 2 older nieces, ages 5.5 and 3.5. I think they'll enjoy them. I bought matching oven mitts to go with them. They are adult sized, but really, I don't think they'll be handling too many hot things anyway...they are more for play.
The next thing I did was finish the little bluebonnet hat for our good friends in Texas. They just adopted their 2nd baby and since I had made a bluebonnet bonnet for their older child, I thought this little hat would be cute. Unfortunately, it's a little big. I cut it out and started stitching it together before Abby was born, or I would've known that it was going to be too big. Oh well, she'll grow into it. I used the hat from Simplicity pattern #9784.

Recovery from the C-section has been a long road, but I think I'm nearing the end. I've made great improvement in the last few days & am pretty much up to normal capabilities. Of course, normal capabilities did not include wearing a bikini! Otherwise, I'd be out of luck.

Anyway, while I was recovering, Don was able to get more work done on the garage. But, that meant he was outside a lot. He would take his phone & I'd just call when I needed him to help me get up or to change a diaper. During that time, I took a shower. I know, I know, stop the presses! But, with Don outside, I decided to take Abby in the bathroom with me, as it seemed a little much responsibility to put on Meagan so soon. So, Meagan helped me rig up a spot to put her & this is what we came up with.
She's in the laundry basket, lined with blankets! It was the only thing I could think of to fit in our bathroom. She slept through it all and I got to do the new-mommy thing...checking on her every 2 seconds to make sure she's alright.

Wait, I just can't resist...
I just threw those in there for fun. Isn't she cute??? I love the swaddling. It's like some sort of magic drug. She just can't resist the power of the swaddling!

Tonight, my dad came in and took us to the movies. Abby's first! She slept through the entire thing. We saw Bee Movie. Not particularly superb, but there was a really good line in there about lawyers & blood-sucking parasites.

We finally ran out of the disposable diapers we had purchased to get us through the meconium stage. So, we are now on cloth diapers. Meagan is thrilled and has taken over diaper duty...

So, there are a few random thoughts. Really, though, I don't think you can expect more from a mother of an 11-day-old baby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is sooo pretty! I still cannot believe that I am looking at her. She was such a dream and now she really is real! I hope we can make it up there one day to see our friends in their new life!!! We love and miss you guys. I was just saying today to Tom, that I sure miss Gina. You were such a normal and good friend. (normal in my & your terms, haha)

foxmulder said...

Congratulations Gina on your new member of the family! You sure had quite an ordeal - hope you are healing and resting well.