Friday, October 19, 2007

Prepping for baby

This whole "having-a-baby" thing is really starting to get real for me. Yes, she's been beating me up from the inside for quite a while now, but I have just gotten used to having her safely inside. But, she's going to come out! Yes, I know, that's obvious. But, it's getting close now!

For those of you counting, I have 3 weeks and 2 days until my official estimated due date. 3 weeks. Wow.

I would not be surprised in the least if she came early. After all, Meagan weighed nearly 9.5 pounds a full 2 weeks before her EDD. But, then, I've never done this without induction before, so who knows when she'll come. Maybe Meagan would've been an 11 pound baby if left to her own plans of arrival.

But, I'm starting to prep for Abby's coming and it's starting to feel real. Yesterday, Meagan and I put together the crib. Meagan is an interesting construction partner...at one point, I dropped a screw and, to be helpful, she dove under the crib to get it. However, she had been holding/steadying the other side of the crib for me, so the whole mattress support piece collapsed when she let go, since I was mainly focused on inserting a screw. There was lots of giggling going on. I have to remind myself that it's not about efficiency when I let her help. It's about teaching, encouraging, having fun, and mommy/Meagan time.

We've also purchased most of the things we'll need to have on hand at home. My official at-home birth kit came in the mail on Wednesday, including an adorable infant T-shirt that says "I am special. I was born at home!" Very cute. There are just a few more things I need to pick up, but that should be accomplished this weekend. I also need to sterilize some things and get them bagged and ready for the big day.

I had grand plans of making & freezing dozens of meals for after the baby came, but that hasn't happened yet. It's taken so long for me to build my kitchen back up to having needed things on hand that I haven't gotten around to the "extras". I need to really focus on that in the next week, or we're going to overdose on frozen pizzas after Abby comes! Without having a church base here yet, we can't count on meals being delivered to us.

So, 3 weeks from now (or 1 or 2 or 5...who knows?!?), life is going to turn upside-down around here. It's getting so exciting. I'm just a little scared of having to live on so little sleep again...I'm not as young as I used to be!

No comments: