Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Plethora of Plums

On Saturday, I went to the farmer's market in downtown Lincoln, the Historic Haymarket District. It is a lot of fun, with one of the highlights being the kettle corn for sale. I bought the "large", and we are still eating it. I can't imagine what the "family" size looked like. I'm guessing I would've had to bring the van around for them to load it!

The prices are good for the produce. And, I feel good buying from local farmers. I wish I could get everything there. But, on Saturday, I got an awesome deal. Plums were $3 for a 3 lb or 14 lb box, your choice. Yes, that's 14 lbs of plums for $3. Of course, I bought it.

Since then, we've had lots & lots of plums.

The kids and I made plum preserves. We had trouble getting it to gel up, but I understand that it may be the Rapadura sugar I used. It is still delicious & still is good spread on a sandwich...just a little runnier than it should be. It will make great pancake or ice cream topping too.

Yesterday, we made plum cobbler. This is the recipe we used & it was absolutely delicious:

Plum Cobbler
Combine 3/4 cups sugar, 10 sliced plums, 2 tbsp cornstarch and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Pour into 8x12" baking dish. In another bowl, combine, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 cup milk and 1 beaten egg, just until moistened. Drop batter over fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

And now, as I've unpacked our ice cream maker today and plan on picking up some maple syrup tomorrow, we will be making plum sherbet from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. Yum yum! Still, I think I'll have to just give up & cut some up to freeze for smoothies.

14 pounds of plums is quite a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Plums are yummy, but I am wondering if there is such a thing called "plum squirts"? Can you eat too many??? haha I just may try that covvler recipe.