Thursday, August 16, 2007

What to do, what to do...

With less than 13 weeks until my due date, I'm starting to feel a little anxious about how on earth I'm bringing this baby into the world. I want to stay out of the hospital so much. But, in finding a midwife, I'm following lead after lead only to end in dead ends. I've actually been reading a lot about unassisted childbirth. It's not my first choice, for sure, but it is an option. Don is less than enthusiastic about that option, mainly because a big bulk of responsibility would be on him and while he's seen two births, that doesn't exactly make him an expert. I know, absolutely know, that my body can do this and will know what to do. It's just a matter of whether we can handle any what-ifs that might come up. Another kink in that option is that we are pretty far away from a hospital. If we have a midwife, my Grandma has offered the use of her home to birth in since she's in the city. However, I don't know if she'd be open to us flying solo there. Or, if I could even put her in that position.

But, in the meantime, I am getting ready as if all my options are still open. I purchased a blow-up pool last night to labor in at home. If I never end up using it, well, the kids will, I'm sure! I've ordered a few more books, these about unassisted childbirth, to further explore that. I'm thinking about ordering a stethoscope and maybe some other tools like that so that we can monitor the baby if it comes to doing it alone. I'm also planning on ordering some natural remedies for things that may come up, especially to curb bleeding.

And, if anyone in the Nebraska legislature happens to read my blog, PLEASE reconsider the legal status of homebirth in the state. It puts people like me in a very awkward position. And actually creates more risk. Homebirth is a very safe option. However, it's safety is greatly enhanced by having qualified, experienced attendants there with you.

No comments: