Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Moving on...

We finally had it up to our cowlicks with Lucy & decided she had to go. After about $800 in damage, I just really couldn't take any more. She was a sweet, loving dog, but man, was she a handful. I do sort-of miss her, but it's nice to be able to leave the house without wondering how much damage will be done while I'm gone. One of her latest escapades was at Caleb's last ball game. We had thought that time was up (they play 3 innings or 1 hour, whichever comes first) when it was at 55 minutes, and so started packing up. Don walked Lucy to the car, while I went to wait for Caleb to come out. Well, instead of coming out, they were heading back out to the field for another inning! We decided to leave Lucy in the car since it was a very cool evening & we hoped they would be done soon. About 10 minutes later, it was over & we got in the car, only to discover that she had chewed up 3 of the seatbelts, actually slicing 2 of them about an inch! In 10 minutes. When, after that, she chewed up Caleb's soccer ball that was given to him as a gift, even Caleb recognized that she had to go, as sad as it would make us. I listed her on Craigslist on Saturday & she was gone within 2 hours. Don't worry. I did warn the new owner that she jumps 6-foot fences, chews things & needs training. I didn't list all the damage she's done, but then, really? I wanted to get rid of her. But the guy did have lots of experience with large dogs & seemed very capable of training her. I'm sure she'll be fine. I, on the other hand, still have dog hair to get rid of & several things to repair. Let's just say it was an expensive learning experience. Next time, we'll definitely be getting a puppy so we can train it while we are still stronger than it!

No comments: