Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hot cocoa


When the weather outside is frightful, nothing warms us up like some homemade hot cocoa. And because we always have a large amount of milk in the fridge, we get to make it very authentically.

Hot Cocoa

Mix together:
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar (I use Rapadura, but I'm still working on reducing the amount)
pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water

Bring to a boil and then gently simmer for 2 minutes, being careful to not scorch it.

Add 4 cups milk and heat to very hot, but do not boil.

Remove from heat and add 3/4 tsp vanilla.


Even Abby gets a little, though I ladle her's out before it gets very warm!

2 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

We love hot cocoa here too - did you see my milk delivery post? Almost always have some in the fridge although I tend to heat the milk in the microwave first :)

Red Gate said...

This is the exact recipe I use, however, I have started substituting a good portion of sugar for stevia. You could probably substitute all--I just haven't gotten brave enough yet.