Friday, April 4, 2008

How does one spell out a moan, anyway?

I woke up this morning with the plague. I think the other name for it is mastitis, but that could just be a rumor. So, having been visited by death itself and barely surviving the encounter, I don't have a whole lot of witty things to say. Unless moaning counts. Cause I can do that very well.

I did have a funny dream last night about my neighbor. Our neighbors are inspirational. They adopted the motto "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" long before it was cool. They almost never buy new and love to find ways to adopt an item to fit their needs. Instead of pining away after an 8-burner stove to better accommodate their family of 11, she picked up a second oven at a thrift store for $50. Not only does she now have 8 burners, but now she also has double the oven space. A nice bonus. That is just one example of the many, many ways they have identified a need (or a want) and come up with a creative way to meet it.

So in my dream, I was with their family at a very large store. Somehow, their eldest daughter and I got separated from the rest of the group and couldn't find them. I suggested that we just call them on the cell phone. We did and we found them again, but when we got there, the mom said she needed help hanging up her phone. You see, her cell phone was an enormous public pay telephone, rigged into her backpack, and she needed help getting the corded receiver back into the backpack.

I think that is taking "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" to a whole new level.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh that is priceless! Even beats my dream of the dog running off with Prairie Guy's grain truck and running it into a ditch of overflow water that promptly swallowed up the truck, turned into a raging river and dragged it off to the ocean which happened to be bordering the edge of our property. Considering we live on the flat dry prairie (although the river is only 2 km's away, the ocean's an entirely different story).... it was quite a bizarre dream. Dreams like these make for good dinner conversation, just make sure your kids don't have food in their mouths or they might choke from laughing ;)