Thursday, April 26, 2007

Time gets away from me

It's been awhile, so I'll try to catch up a little.

First, I had my first real prenatal visit with my midwife. I got to hear the little one's heartbeat, as did the kids. I didn't realize how thrilled I would be. Honestly, I had been trying to brace myself for something going wrong. I've just heard of so many post-reversal miscarriages that I tried to prepare myself for the worst. Yes, we told everyone waaay early, but I still felt like I wanted to be ready if this wasn't going to happen. Hearing that heartbeat was such a relief. I didn't realize how much I needed to hear it. I'm now at 11.5 weeks and nearing that magical number of 12 and feeling much more secure. I hope that makes sense.

We've decided to go ahead and plan to move before the baby comes. I really wanted a home birth and loved this midwife, but really, it was the only thing to keep us here. Everything else seems to be pointing to leaving earlier. So, I am hoping that a home birth midwife in NE will be found (a couple of leads, but no names yet!), but am preparing myself for a hospital birth. I realize that a hospital birth will not be the worst thing in the world. I just need to stand up for myself & my desires & not worry about what the nurses will think of me. I don't like to be labeled difficult, but it would be worth it to have a little control over what happens to me & the baby.

We got a dog. Yes, there is not enough going on in our lives. Her name is Lucy and she is an 18-month old German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix. She belonged to a friend of mine, but they just couldn't keep her exercised enough & contained. She can jump the 6-foot brick fences that everyone has around here. She has been quite the handful, but the reason we took her is that she will be perfect on the farm and will absolutely love it. We planned to get several dogs (our own little pack) on the farm for protection of the house & livestock, so Lucy is the perfect start to that. In the meantime, we just have to keep her exercised. Which means, it forces both Don & I to do what we should be doing anyway! She loves the dog park too & really enjoys playing with the other dogs, especially the big ones. She can run like nothing I've seen before...her ears flatten back and she looks like a bullet coming at you! After reading a LOT on the internet, we've begun to introduce raw meat into her diet. She is loving it & has responded well to it so far. She was actually very picky about her canned food that she was on, but man, she tears into that chicken! I'll post some pictures of her later.

Also, I've begun packing. I can never be called a procrastinator. Especially when it involves any sort of organizing. I figure if I pack a few boxes a week, it'll really help me get a jump on things. We hope to move a load of stuff up when the former owners of our house in NE (they are renting from us) move out. That could be mid-June, so it really isn't toooo early.

Don was offered an Air Force job in D.C. Totally unexpected. He's having trouble working through it all, but I really have no interest in it. It's not even close to the path we are taking & I'm not tempted by it at all. But, we'll see what happens.

I guess that's all of what has been going on. I'll try to get pictures up soon.

No comments: