Monday, April 9, 2007

Landing smack-dab in the middle of controversy

It seems that our new state has a little controversy going on & I'm setting myself up to be right in the middle of it. I want to have my baby at home. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am. But, in NE, it is not legal. It's not illegal, per se, just not legal. However, some midwives who are doing it are being given cease & desist orders. It is, though, illegal for certified nurse midwives to attend home births, but non-nurse midwives aren't specifically forbidden. Here is an article from the Lincoln Journal Star about the problem & one woman's solution (to have her husband catch the baby.)

I'm so disappointed. I really like the midwife I found here & now, if we move mid-pregnancy, I may miss out on a home birth altogether. I don't think I could convince Don to do it "unassisted". I need to find an underground midwife. Or, I'll have to travel to Iowa or Kansas. How pathetic is that? Looks like I'll be contacting my state representatives.

No comments: