Monday, February 5, 2007

A couple of Junk-Food Flunkies

We went to a SuperBowl party last night & I made some cute cupcakes like this...
So the little pennants are made out of fruit roll-ups. I have not purchased fruit roll-ups in years, both because I feel like they are a waste of money for the amount of food you actually get & because the kids just don't need a leathery mix of sugar & colors. But, I bought a box for this dessert because it was just so cute & hey, if I don't like football, at least I could get some excitement from the snacks! And, I told the kids they could eat the leftovers. Well, we had probably 6 roll-ups left & they asked for one after they had their apples at snacktime. I agreed & we grabbed them to have while running errands. I opened the outer package in the car & handed the roll back to them. I didn't think I had to tell them that the snacks are wrapped up in plastic. Imagine my surprise when we are walking into JoAnn's & BOTH of them are trying to bite through the plastic!! I guess we don't eat junk food enough for them to figure out some of the finer points of junk food consumption. Like the little boogers are often layer upon layer of unnecessary packaging. Or, that even though the texture may be the same, there is a difference between the junk & the wrapping (though the only difference may be the sugars & colors!) Maybe that's some of the "socialization" that they are missing out on by not being in school. You know, junk food exposure. I can live with that, I guess.

No comments: